The Medical Assisting – Medical Administrative Assistant short certificate requires the student to complete sixteen (16) semester hours of medical assisting coursework. This program is designed for students seeking employment in various physician’ offices, hospitals or medical facilities who specialize in the production of documents that are the basis for medical records. Students will learn the principles of auditing, patient records for compliance, perform basic coding to submit reimbursement claims, process release of information requests for medical records, review patient records to ensure completion and accuracy, collect patient demographic and insurance information and the proper communication skills to discuss patient information with physicians and insurance companies. Additionally, students will learn medical office management: patient scheduling, and various aspects of practice management. Required enrollment in MAT 228A- Medical Assistant CMAA Review Course is essential to prepare for the Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) certification exam.
Applicants to the Medical Assisting Program must:
- Have unconditional admission to the College.
- Complete the application for the Associate of Applied Science in Medical Assisting and/or certification options.
- Achieve a minimum cumulative college GPA of 2.0 OR a minimum 2.0 cumulative high school GPA if no prior college coursework exists OR a GED certificate.
- Complete all developmental course work.
- Be eligible for enrollment in English 100/101 and Math 100 as determined by the College.
- Good standing with the College.
- Meet essential functions required for medical assisting.
- Be able to comply with any additional requirements as outlined by the clinical agencies such as dress code or confidentiality training.