The Alabama Community College System nursing program is a seamless 5-semester curriculum with stack-able credentials which may lead the student to an Associate of Applied Science in Nursing. Stack-able credentials include a nursing assistant certificate of completion; practical nursing certificate and/or Associate of Applied Science in Nursing.
In addition to the general admission requirements for the College, admission into the nursing program requires:
A. Unconditional admission to the college.
B. Receipt of completed application for admission to nursing program before published deadline.
C. A minimum of 18 ACT composite score National or Residual.
D. A minimum of 2.5 GPA for nursing required academic core courses.
E A minimum of 2.5 GPA cumulative high school GPA for students without prior college courses (GED will be used if applicable).
F. Meet the essential functions for nursing.
G. Eligible for ENG101, BIO201, and MTH100.
Admission to the nursing program is competitive and the number of students admitted is limited by the number of faculty and availability of clinical facilities. Meeting minimal requirements does not guarantee acceptance into the nursing program.
The following ONLY applies to students who have been accepted to the Associate Degree Nursing program.
Students who are conditionally accepted into the nursing program will be required to submit the following items:
- Current history and physical completed by licensed physician, physician’s assistant, or nurse practitioner (must be completed on CVCC Physical Form; valid for the duration of the program unless program admission is inactive greater than two semesters).
- Color blind test
- Audiometric test
- Documentation of immunization/health check.
- Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR)- Positive titer results (lab work) indicating immunity must be submitted for students over 21 years of age. If titer results (lab work) indicate that you are not immune, you must be immunized and submit proof of vaccination. Students 21 years of age and younger may submit documentation of:
- two doses of live measles virus vaccine (part of MMR vaccine) on or after first birthday.
- two doses of live mumps virus vaccine (part of MMR or MR vaccine) on or after first birthday.
- two doses of live rubella virus vaccine (part of MMR or MR vaccine) on or after first birthday.
- If titer results (lab work) indicate that you are not immune, you must be immunized and submit proof of vaccination.
- Varicella (Chicken Pox)- Positive titer results (lab work) indicating immunity must be submitted for all students, regardless of age. If titer results (lab work) indicate that you are not immune, you must be immunized and submit proof of vaccination.
- Hepatitis B- Positive titer results (lab work) indicating immunity must be submitted for students over 21 years of age. Students 21 years of age and younger may submit documentation of first of series of 3 immunizations must be submitted. Proof of vaccination must be submitted after receipt of each remaining (2nd and 3rd ) immunization. Waiver is available for those unable to receive the vaccine. If titer results (lab work) indicate that you are not immune, you must be immunized and submit proof of vaccination.
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis (TDAP)- Documentation of TDAP immunization within last 10 years must be submitted. Tetanus and TD only not acceptable.
- Tuberculosis (TB Skin Test)- Negative Tb skin test with lab results is required and must be repeated yearly. If you have ever tested positive for Tb, you must submit documentation of a current negative chest x-ray (current for 5 years from date of x-ray). CVCC PPD waiver form must be submitted with chest x-ray.
- Influenza- Documentation of seasonal flu immunization within the last year. Waiver is available for those who wish to decline or are unable to receive the vaccine; however, a mask will be required to be worn in clinical setting.
- Copy of valid health insurance (private or public) card.
- Copy of valid American Heart Association BLS Provider CPR certification (certification must be less than 2 years old).
- Criminal Background Check/Drug Screening- Students must submit proof of clear criminal background check/drug screen, which may take up to 4 weeks for completion, by established deadline. Background check and drug screen information should be obtained by the Health Sciences Secretary/Coordinator (background and drug screen conducted by VerifyStudents).
Failure to have updated information in your nursing file may result in a delay of your registration process.
Calculation of Points for Applicants Meeting Minimum Admission Standards
After meeting all minimum requirements, applicants are rank-ordered using a point system based on:
- ACT score. Highest possible score of 36 points with no time limit on when the test was taken. Student, high school, or college report must be submitted.
- Points from Nursing required college courses (i.e. ENG101, MTH100 or higher, BIO201 and BIO202). Points for grades are as follows: A = 3 points, B = 2 points, and C = 1 point.
- Students may be awarded up, but not to exceed, 10 points as determined by college policy and procedures.
- Students who have earned a practical nursing certificate at CVCC and can provide proof of licensure will receive an additional 10 points toward admission OR
- Students who have completed a minimum of 12 hours of college-level course work at CVCC will receive 5 additional points toward admission OR
- Students who have completed ENG101, MTH100 (or higher), BIO201 and BIO202 with a grade of ‘C’ or higher at another institution and have received transfer credit at CVCC will receive 5 additional points toward admission.
Suggested Course Sequence
|First Term||Second Term||Third Term||Fourth Term||Fifth Term|
|NUR 112||NUR 113||NUR 114||NUR211||NUR 221|
|MTH 100||ENG 101||NUR 115||BIO 220||Humanities Elective|
|BIO 201||PSY 210||SPH 106 or SPH 107|
The Associate of Applied Science in Nursing-Direct Entry and Mobility- programs at Chattahoochee Valley Community College are approved by:
Alabama Board of Nursing (ABN)
RSA Plaza, Suite 250
770 Washington Avenue
Montgomery, AL 36104
Chattahoochee Valley Community College is accredited by:
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033
Employment information for Nursing can be located at the Bureau of Labor Statistics.