Academic (Transfer/General)

General Studies/Transfer Programs

A university parallel program allows a student to complete the first two years of a  baccalaureate degree. These programs are designed to transfer to a four-year college or university. CVCC offers two transfer degrees:

Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts (A.A.)   

Degree Plan
Degree Map 4 Semesters
Degree Map 5 Semesters

Associate of Science in General Studies (A.S.)

The Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees are awarded to students completing a planned university-parallel program to meet the requirements of the first two years of a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree. Since Area V requirements vary with individual four-year institutions, students must obtain approved university parallel degree plans from the appropriate academic divisions or Counseling, Advising and Testing Services. Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees contain a general education core requirements. Since not all courses will satisfy these requirements in all programs, courses should be chosen from an approved degree plan to ensure they meet the requirements. The degree plan will also indicate the courses needed in addition to the general education core to complete the degree.

Students in the Associate of Arts in Liberal Arts degree program usually transfer to a four-year institution in such fields as Art; Elementary or Secondary Education; Health, Physical Education and Recreation; Music or Theater.

Students in the Associate of Science in General Studies degree program usually transfer to a four-year institution in the Natural Sciences, the Professional Sciences, Mathematics, Computer Science, Business Administration or Nursing.

As part of a transfer degree, students will take freshman- and sophomore-level general education courses in a wide range of disciplines. All students are required to complete a specific number of semester hours in English Composition (Area I); Humanities, Speech and Fine Arts (Area II); Natural Sciences and Mathematics (Area III) and History, Social and Behavioral Sciences (Area IV). These courses are referred to as CORE courses. In addition to CORE courses, students will choose Electives (Area V), which will more specifically prepare them for transfer in their particular field of interest.

While the College does not offer specific majors such as those offered at the bachelor’s (four-year) degree level, the College is acutely aware that students should plan their course selection to meet requirements at the transfer institution. Even though all general education course work in Areas I through V will transfer, the specific Area V courses required for a major at different four-year institutions may vary. It is, therefore, most important that students consult their advisors as well as the catalog of the institution to which they wish to transfer to ensure proper transfer credit. It is also advisable that students contact an academic advisor at the senior institution who can provide definitive advice on major course requirements.